Skip to main content
Las Positas College

Frequently Asked Questions

Counseling appointments can be made up to one month in advance. Since appointments can get booked early, we recommend that you make an appointment as soon as they are available. Counseling appointments may be made in person during the hours listed or by calling (925) 424-1400.

Drop-in counseling is available during our open hours, but may be subject to change if counselors are not available or over-booked. While no appointment is necessary, a drop-in session is limited to 15 minutes. To meet with a counselor on drop-in, simply sign into the computer at the counter in the Counseling Department. Please note: During peak registration times, counselors are only able to create 1-2 semester educational plans so that they can focus on the immediate needs of students wishing to enroll in courses for the upcoming semester.

Choosing a major is an important decision all students face, and it is always an advantage to decide on your major early so that you can complete the required courses for your chosen major. We recommend that you choose your major in your first or second semester at LPC! There are a number of ways you can get help deciding on your major. You can schedule an individual appointment with a counselor, or you can enroll in a Psychology-Counseling (PCN) class. Our PCN 10 course focuses on education and career planning.

There are many factors to consider when deciding how many units to enroll in including, but not limited to, the number of hours/week you work, motivation, academic skills, and study skills. One of the most important factors to consider is how many hours per week you work. A general rule of thumb is:

If you work Enroll in no more than:
40 hours per week 6 units
30 hours 9 units
20 hours 12 units
5-15 hours 14-16 units

Don’t forget to schedule time to study! For each unit you are enrolled in, you need to set aside about 2 hours of study time outside of class each week. Refer to Planning Your Schedule or consult with a counselor in making decisions on course loads.

A minimum of twelve units.

You may not enroll in more than 18 semester units without the written approval of a counselor.

Yes, but you must either wait 6 months from the last time you took the test or ask for special approval. You must see a counselor to discuss your reasons for retaking the assessment and complete an Assessment Challenge Petition that will be submitted to an administrator for final approval. The approval process can take up to 2 weeks.

You must meet with a counselor to discuss the process and complete the appropriate forms.

Do NOT expect an instructor to drop you from a class because you are no longer attending. You may drop a class using CLASS-Web. An instructor’s permission is not required.

Check the current course schedule or CLASS-Web for drop deadlines. For full-term courses, you may drop during the first two weeks of the semester with a No Grade of Record (NGR) and the class will not appear on your transcript. Drop dates for short-term and late start classes can be found on CLASS-Web and are different from full term course deadlines. If you drop after the “NGR” date but before the “W” or withdrawal date, you will earn a “W” grade on your transcript. Unless there are extenuating circumstances, you may not drop after the withdrawal date and will receive a grade for the class. You must petition with the Admissions Office to withdraw with extenuating circumstances.

Students on academic and/or progress probation are blocked from registering and must see a counselor to discuss strategies for improving their academic standing. During this meeting, students must complete a Probation Clearance Form and submit it in person to the admissions office prior to registering for classes. A student will be dismissed from LPC after three consecutive semesters of academic and/or progress probation. Summer sessions are excluded. For more detailed information about Academic/Progress Probation, go here.

A degree granted by community colleges upon completion of 60 units of college work, including general education, major, and elective requirements. At LPC, students can earn Associate of Arts (AA), Associate of Science (AS), Associate in Arts for Transfer (AA-T), and/or Associate in Science for Transfer (AS-T).

A degree granted by community colleges upon completion of 60 units of college work, including general education, major, and elective requirements. In addition, it is also a transfer program you can participate in if you're interested in transferring to the California State University (CSU) System. Students who follow the ADT transfer pathway to a CSU campus can choose to complete either the CSU-Breadth pattern of general education, or they can complete the UC-IGETC pattern of general education for this ADT program.

Completion of 60 units that meet General Education competency and major requirements are needed to obtain an associate degree.

GE or General Education is a program of courses in the arts and sciences that provides a broad educational experience. Courses are usually introductory in nature and provide students with fundamental skills and knowledge in English, arts, humanities, mathematics, social sciences, physical and biological sciences. There are several GE patterns depending on your educational goal. Please consult with a counselor to determine which GE pattern is right for you.

IGETC, Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum, is a general education program which community college transfer students can use to fulfill lower-division general education requirements for either the CSU or UC systems. IGETC is not recommended for some majors at the UC campuses. Please consult with a counselor to determine which GE pattern is right for you.

At almost all schools, you must declare a major when you apply as a junior-level transfer (at least 60 transferable semester units). Many schools will also require you to have completed courses in your major. This is especially true for impacted or selective majors and colleges, as well as “high unit majors” (majors with many required classes, such as engineering, computer science, sciences, health sciences).

An impacted and/or selective major/college has more applicants than the major/college can accept. To be eligible for admission to an impacted/ selective major/college, you must complete additional requirements above and beyond the minimum, including specified courses and have a higher grade point average to compete for admissions.

Yes. LPC students transfer to colleges and universities all around the country.

Certification of CSU GE or IGETC is an important step in the transfer process. The certification of GE is an official notice verifying that a transfer student has completed courses satisfying lower division general education requirements. The request for certification of CSU GE or IGETC is done at the Admissions & Records Office at the time you request your final transcript to be sent to your transfer school.

An associate degree is a degree granted by a community college to students who complete a specified program of study, usually totaling 60 units. A bachelor degree or baccalaureate is a degree granted upon completion of at least 120 semester units or 180 quarter units. Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science Degrees are offered by the California State Universities, the University of California and private four-year colleges and universities.

Articulation is the process of evaluating courses to determine whether coursework completed at one college will meet the requirements for admission, transfer credit, general education, or major preparation at another college. Las Positas College has specific agreements with a number of CSU and UC campuses. A complete listing of LPC’s articulation agreements with these systems can be found at